In September 2015 the Lord Chancellor and Secretary of State for Justice asked Dame Sally Coates to lead a review of education in prison and make recommendations as to how it could be improved.
This report from Dame Sally includes sets out recommendations relating to:
- the current accountability framework for delivering education
- the capacity of the workforce
- the learning needs of different types of prisoners
- the ability of prisoners to access higher level learning
- the potential for IT to support education
- services available to support prisoners to get employment and/or continue their education on release.
PET's Chief Executive Rod Clark sat on the expert panel that informed this review. See PET's response here.